Thursday, February 11, 2010

20th ANNIVERSARY OF NELSON MANDELA'S RELEASE!




And he was..but God had a higher plan for him

Always sharp even in the battle


Free Mandela

Nelson and Winnie

I
was listening this morning to RFI Radio, listeners were calling in to share their thoughts about Nelson Mandela.It's amazing how this 91 years old activist has an impact on the entire world, it seems like it's everyone's dream is to one day have the chance to be in his presence.
Listening to callers from Benin, Cameroon, Senegal and other parts of Africa, I thought to myself if this man could have such an impact on us outsiders how proud must South African people be. I thought about a young south African young woman back in Cape town who was born years after apartheid, I thought about how she must feel seeing the progress in her country in comparaison to what her parents must have told her about the past.
I thought of Winnie Mandela despite some of her mistakes, she'll always remain a symbol of resilience. I thought about Mandela's ANC companions during those years of solitude and extreme violence. I thought about them waking up with just an idea, freeing their people, not knowing how but knowing that it would be done and needed to be done.
I thought about maybe not having all the financial means but waking up in the morning with the determination to change things. I thought about their mothers , sisters , wives, who must have been so worried for these strong men of courage. I thought and thought about them meeting somewhere in secret discussing new ideas of freedom, new ideals, cheering each other on going home worried about their future..and here we are today, things changing bit by bit. South Africa is getting ready to welcome people from all nations for the world cup, senegalese, japanese, cuban, portuguese, namibian ect...and I thought waouh that's what living with a purpose means...Vive Nelson Mandela, thank you:)

2 comments:

Fernando said...

Mandela is a homeric figure for all humanity. Or so he should be. Along with Martin Luther King Jr., Malcom X, Mahatma Gandhi, John F. Kennedy and Robert F. Kennedy, this man has believed in change. And only that belief could have exacted the changes to come!

Great article.

Anonymous said...

yayemarieba.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.