Tuesday, June 30, 2009

GAMBIAN WRITER, DAYO FORSTER AND HER FIRST NOVEL "READING THE CEILING"!






Dayo's ancestors are of Krio ancestry who emigrated to Gambia during colonial time. Dayo grew up and calls home Gambia,she left her homecountry at the age of 18 years old and went on to study statistics and economy.
Writting came rather late to her, she was 35 years old and living in America but it seems that the times she spent during her childhood in the bathroom of her family home reading,or staring at the floor
It's interesting to me to see how talent is developped in one's mind ...
It took her 2 years to finish her first novel "Reading the Ceiling" ; it's a story about the choices we make in life and how they impact the course of our lives ...
The main personnage Ayodele is at the crossroad of her life as a young woman and she has to choose btw staying in Africa getting married as a second wife, or moving to Europe pursuing her academic goals while tasting the sour and sweet of her first love...
Dayo embarks us with Ayodele on the pursuit of hapiness through each choice..
Will def' try to read this book!
Here's her webbie:
Djaa my Gambian sistas sont dedans aussi:)
Eyeee Wayee:)

4 comments:

Nana said...

Sounds interesting. I've never read anything by a Gambian writer, my aftican lit is too limited. So far, I've only read Chimamanda ngozi Adichie (she's amazing), Chinua achebe... It's sad, as being an African writer, those are the books I should be reading. I love what you're doing with your blog though! I feel cut off from the African culture sometimes, and I enjoy reading about my people, what's happening in african fashion, music, literature...

Roc said...

Not an all too new african concept then..

Anonymous said...

I've read the book last year and it's well written, authentic and interesting. Without spoiling it for others, it just retells the story of a young girl who at 18, in Banjul, and a virgin liking a few boys make decisions that will alter her life. The author presents 3 scenaris that are very realistic of African society. Chimamanda Ngozi Achebe is a great author. Pettina Gappah (?) is another noteworthy one. Viva African litterature!

LaPenseuse said...

I will definitely read it!!! I just finished reading "Beasts of no Nation" by Uzodinma Iweala, it was really bizarre but interesting. I am also rereading the classics from Mariama Ba, Buchi Emecheta, etc ...that's my summer project!