Tuesday, August 14, 2007

WUZ UP W/AFRICAN PARENTS ALWAYS TRYING TO CHOSE OUR CAREERS FOR US?



Ok say I'm lying if I dare say (I'm scared..lol) that in our culture
we are not always encouraged to go after what we want career wise..
Several friends of mine are today in fields that they were not nec' interested in...

I wll be the 1st to admit that I studied business because I was encouraged (it's a mild word..lol) to study that "tradional major"..
Yeah , don't get me wrong , our parents are not totally wrong ,


they want the best for us, they didn't want us to struggle "galerer",
understable........ but who's not to say that having studied architecture , dance, fashion we would not have been succesful today...????

There's another concept that I camE to understand after my undergrads..
THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG W/STUDYING PSYCHOLOGY AND LATER ON WORKING AS A BEAUTY THERAPIST ...(ok I'm getting carried away)
but you know what I mean...


As long as you put your all in whatever profession you want to practice ...I say go for it...
that knowledge that you got from college is priceless, and should never looked as a waste of time ....you dig??!!



So all I'm saying is that I hope that the new African parents that we are or we'll be , will chose bit more open to our children's ambitions and not shut them down automatically ......our role is to support them and encourage to get better and better but NOT LIVE THEIR LIVES...of course good judgement is expected. ...of course if Coumba wants to become a call girl I hope you'll step up and be a parent...

NOW if she wants to become a professional dancer why not? of course it's tough but there's no guarantee in life so sometimes you just gotta go after things...



Just a point of view:)
Eyee Wayee:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Either they pick a career for you or they simply don't care what you choose to do :-D. My mother always supported me though, no matter what I chose.

PS: your switching from normal to bold fonts, colors etc. on this post kinda made me dizzy...is it just me??

Faut pas facher, nou s'amizer ;-)

Anonymous said...

Either they pick a career for you or they simply don't care what you choose to do :-D. My mother always supported me though, no matter what I chose.

PS: your switching from normal to bold fonts, colors etc. on this post kinda made me dizzy...is it just me??

Faut pas facher, nou s'amizer ;-)